Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tokudo Program

Last Tuesday when I met with Rev Kevin, he gave me a list of important dates regarding my Tokudo. Tokudo is the name of the lower-level ordination in the Buddhist seminary. The upper level is called Kyoshi. When you are a Kyoshi minister, you can have your own temple. In either case, the level of ordination I'm working towards right now is Tokudo. Here is a copy of the schedule:

November 2009 - Orientation to the ministers.
January 2010 - Preliminary Informational Session
April 2010 - Start one year Local Pre-Tokudo Training Program at local temples
April 2011 - Hold two months State Pre-Tokudo Trining Program at local temples. Screening of candidates by Bishop
Fall 2011 - Send candidates to Honzan for ten day Tokudo Program

In summary, my training "officially" begins in April of 2010. Then, in April of 2011, I'm interviewed by the Bishop to see if I'm qualified to go to Japan for the ordination. If I am, then in Fall, I go to Japan and go through Tokudo Basic Training.

Pretty exciting stuff!

In Gassho,
-Hank

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your Tokudo training! You will see that it is just like boot camp - you are up from dawn to dusk at Nishiyama Betsuin with senior ministers yelling at you! Well they yell mostly at the Japanese kids who go through it ;)

    Be sure you have Shoshinge memorized, that was a biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful adventure. 2011 will be here before you know it....Mom

    ReplyDelete